Yvonne Quahe is a career and program advisor with the World Bank Family Network. A recognized HR leader and coach specializing in dual career management and global mobility, Ms. Quahe has worked in both private and public sectors across Asia, Africa, Europe, and the US. She is the founder of Career Lab, where she develops and delivers programs for managing international talent mobility.
Today we discuss ways individuals can effectively manage their globally mobile careers + how organizations can best retain and engage talent in a mobile workforce.
In this episode you will learn:
- The critical importance of holistic life design when considering career opportunities.
- Crucial steps to take (and conversations to have) for dual-career couples.
- The tremendous value of a neutral listening partner, or coach, to help provide clarity.
- What companies must do in order to get their talent in the right place at the right time.
- How one simple and practical step on the part of an organization can buy immense goodwill from a relocated employee.
On relocating: “Go back to your life design. Where will you go and where won’t you go? You need clarity on the road and the horizon.”
On the need for a shift in organizational thinking: “Technology allows one to continue a career in ways that you couldn’t in the past. What hasn’t changed is the way couples make decisions, and the way organizations still have not moved with the times.”
You can connect with Yvonne Quahe through the Society for International Development, Washington Chapter at https://sidw.org/yvonne-quahe or through the World Bank Family Network at https://www.wbfn.org/
Yvonne Quahe World Bank Family Network
Diagnose your organization’s EQ using the online diagnostic featured in Caroline Stokes’ new book Elephants Before Unicorns: Emotionally Intelligent HR Strategies To Save Your Company.